Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Napping in Class

Yesterday night I was doing a literature survey for an upcoming course project. As literature surveys often take a lot of time and I don't feel like stopping in between, I decided to continue into the wee hours of the night. The effect was visible today. Thankfully though, I didn't have any heavy classes in the morning. And since project ideas were being discussed, the interest managed to keep me awake.

After lunch I went back to the empty class room, switched on my laptop and started downloading the list of papers I would have to study. It was around 3 PM I guess, when my mind started to flash the danger signal - urgent sleep wanted. At the same time, using my laptop on high performance had the effect of a mild heater in a chilly room. In short, perfect conditions for sleeping (except for a bed). I don't know when exactly I fell asleep, but the next time I looked at the time, it was 3:45. I had fallen asleep while browsing the internet. With my head on the arm rest of another chair! Disoriented for a while, I went and had a cup of coffee. Caffeine finally restored my thinking abilities to normal and I hurried to attend the Machine Learning class.

Looking back at this incident, I wonder what would have happened if a class had been going on? What excuse would I have given? I remembered this particular comic.


I won't go on to explore the detailed reasons why I fell asleep or find out the probability of falling asleep in class though. Truthfully speaking, I am extremely thankful that I had that nap. I had Machine Learning next (the last class of the day) and somehow, felt more active in class than ever before.

All I can say is, having a nap in (an empty) classroom helps a lot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment